Credit cards are a secure means of payment for everyday life. There are hardly any security mechanisms when paying with cash. Once gone, the money is lost causing great annoyance. If a debit card is misused (e.g. Maestro), payments are debited directly from the bank account. Credit cards, on the other hand, offer you protection against misuse. You will receive a bill which you can check and lodge a complaint if a charge is incorrect.
Swisscard has equipped all credit cards and prepaid cards with a chip and a PIN code (Personal Identification Number), which meets industry standards. In contrast to the magnetic strip, the chip is considered forgery-proof. The cardholder authorizes the transaction by entering a PIN code. Discover further security features such as expiry date or CVV (Card Verification Value) or CVC (Card Validation Code) on the card in the graphic.
The PIN code replaces the signature when paying in many countries and is therefore indispensable when using credit cards. The PIN code can be changed at any time at a suitable ATM in Switzerland (except PostFinance ATMs). The PIN code and credit card must always be kept separately. When entering the PIN code on the payment terminal, we recommend concealing the input field with the other hand. On receipt of the credit card, it is advisable to sign it immediately on the strip provided for this purpose.
As a prerequisite for contactless payment, a credit card with a contactless function and a corresponding payment terminal on the vendor's side are required. Contactless cards and terminals are marked with this symbol . For contactless use of the card, it is sufficient to hold it close to the terminal (maximum distance 4 cm). It does not have to be swiped through or inserted into the terminal. Safety is guaranteed at all times.
The technology used for contactless payment is called Near Field Communication (NFC) and is used in a wide variety of devices. Using this wireless and international standard, data is transmitted via electromagnetic induction. Frequent uses for NFC can be found in banking and credit card payments, in connection with the control of devices and vehicles or in access control. Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and various mobile payment solutions are also based on NFC technology.
- Practical, intuitive and easy to use
- Safe thanks to the latest technology
- For small amounts below CHF 40, you do not normally need to enter the PIN code; for security reasons you will be required to enter the PIN code after several transactions and depending on the total amount.
- From CHF 40, you will be asked to enter your PIN code when using the card at the payment terminal
- Data transmission is only possible in the immediate vicinity
- No personal data is transmitted – only the card number, the expiry date and a cryptogram that enables a one-time transaction
- The security check number (CVV or CVC) and the name of the cardholder are not transmitted
- Credit cards are stored in the smartphone or other mobile devices and are always available
- Apple Pay and Samsung Pay can be used not only for mobile payment in stores, but also for purchases in a web browser or for payments directly in a mobile app
- Early warning system and use of neural networks
- Real-time transaction monitoring using systems and regular fraud detection before the payment process is completed
- Equipping credit cards with security features such as a chip (prevention of credit card forgery) and PIN code
- Use of security standards (3-D-Secure) and authentication via Transakt app for online shopping
- Cards can only be sent abroad by courier; certain countries are completely excluded
- Verification of the cardholder on the phone by trained agents using various alternating questions
- Cards will only be sent to confirmed addresses
- Regular training of vendors and employees
- Fight against phishing and stolen identities through cooperation with national and international authorities
- Sign credit cards immediately upon receipt
- Do not write the PIN code on the card, carry it in your wallet or pass it on to friends and acquaintances
- When entering the PIN code at a terminal or ATM, conceal the keys with the other hand
- Check bills and discrepancies within 30 days
- Carry out security updates on your own computer, mobile phone or tablet
- Place orders on the Internet with reputable providers only
- Ignore phishing e-mails, do not transmit sensitive data
- Block credit cards immediately in the event of (even presumed) loss, theft or misuse