Valuable information to ensure you use your credit card safely.
Secure online shopping
There are still some uncertainties about shopping on the Internet using your credit card, but with the following security tips Internet shopping remains one of life’s pleasures:
- Only order from reputable retailers whose address, e-mail address and telephone number as well as general terms and conditions are clearly visible on the website
- Read the supplier’s general terms and conditions before you enter your card number
- Conduct the Internet transaction using a secure connection such as SSL (Secure Socket Layer). You can see whether a supplier encodes payment information, if there is a padlock in the status bar of your browser, or if the URL starts with «https:».
- Never enter your PIN code, this is confidential and personal
- Check your invoices and report any discrepancies within 30 days of the invoice date
- Do not order anything from public computers
- If your card has been debited, but you have not received the product or service, please inform the Customer service in writing within 30 days
Obligation to cooperate and exercise due care
If you look after your card with the same care as you would with your cash and have complied with the obligation to cooperate and exercise due care, you are fully protected against the consequences of fraudulent use of your card by third parties:
- Sign your credit card as soon as you receive it
- lways store the PIN code (sent in a separate mailing) in a different place from your card or, better still, either memorize it or change it immediately
- Do not throw away sales slips as they can provide others with access to your details
- Compare all receipts with the monthly statement
- Never let third parties use your credit card
- In the event that a card is lost or stolen, have it blocked immediately
All transactions are constantly checked by Swisscard systems. If there is an indication of card fraud with a transaction, you will be informed instantly by SMS or phone. You can then either confirm that the transaction is legal or have your card blocked and request a free replacement card.
Card security numbers
The card security numbers are features of credit cards that hinder the use of falsified and/or stolen credit card details and therefore help prevent credit card fraud on the Internet. The request to supply this number is a security measure that is designed to confirm the physical presence of the card when the holder is making a payment on the Internet.
MasterCard credit cards all have a three-figure security number which appears on the back of the card.