Tips for online shopping
There are still quite a few uncertainties with regard to shopping in the Internet with a credit card. You can significantly reduce the risk of data theft with the following security tips:
- Order only with serious providers, whose address, e-mail address and telephone number as well as general terms and conditions are obvious on the website.
- Read the provider’s general terms and conditions before you indicate your card number.
- Make Internet transactions by means of a secured method such as SSL (Secure Socket Layer). You can tell whether a provider encrypts payment details by the padlock on the lower edge of the browser or the designation “https://”.
- Do not provide any details about your credit card purely for information purposes.
- Never indicate your PIN code; this is secret and personal.
- Print out your order and retain all pertinent documents.
- Check your statements and report discrepancies within 30 days from the invoice date.
- Always keep operating system, browser and applications up to the latest security standard.
- Do not make any orders on public computers.
Reference to subscriptions
Internet contents subject to charges are usually linked to subscriptions. These are usually automatically extended if the cancellation period is not adhered to. Always read the general terms and conditions for this purpose.